Wednesday 15 February 2012




MK Marathon 2012 - "Men in Tights" - Week 6 of 16




The last time I wore tights, of any sort, was back in 1994 at the work's Christmas
fancy dress bash where I turned up as Captain hook. Not sure why I was provided tights to wear
with knee length boots, but I'm guessing the trousers must have been in short supply that year.
I didn't think I'd ever see myself in tights again, .....until now!


Roll on 29th April, 2012 - the first ever full Milton Keynes Marathon. After being declined around
6 or 7 times for the London Marathon, it was time to mobilize Plan B while I was still
capable of breaking into a jog of some description.


So, why the blog?
Well, first and foremost, motivation! To say that I may have bitten off a little more than I could
chew would be a massive understatement. Having been very active playing football twice a week
and  regular gym work, surely I could wing it with a few miles preparation before the day?
2 calf strains in succession proved me wrong, massively wrong!
Running 3 times a week in -4.5 degrees C (as we found last week) requires a certain amount of
focus and determination, but most of all, it's the encouragement from those around that makes the
biggest difference. We're hoping that this blog provides a forum for us to look to for inspiration
and keep us focussed on the task ahead.
The second, and more obvious reason for the blog is to keep everyone informed of our progress
in achieving our goal and where we are on the fund raising front. Yes, you ARE helping us raise
funds for the charities (soon to be announced) so any contribution will be very well received.


Now, as you've figured out by now, I do have a training partner and co-author of the blog, hence
the title "Men in Tights" (abtly named by someone...). Mr.H has vowed to join me for
part of the Marathon run, actually 10 miles, but I'm hoping this will turn into the full 26.2m
in due course (active encouragement required here). It goes without saying that I wouldn't be
writing this today without the support and training partner that is Mr.H, who it must be said,
would be the last person I expected to train with 12 months ago but that's a blog in itself for
another day.....


Finally, we'll endeavour to keep this blog updated at least once a week and hope that you can
leave a note once in a while as way of encouragement, banter, but most of all to keep us focussed.


Many thanks.

Mr.H and Mr.A

No comments:

Post a Comment